The most important thing that a figure skater should invest on are not dresses, invest on a pair of skates. However, purchasing a brand new pair of figure skates can be hard on the budget. There are really cheap ones but the quality is questionable. If you want to buy the high-quality figure skates, the starting price is $700. Now that’s a bit too much, isn’t it?
Good thing there are Used or Refurbished good quality figure skates and blades. Buying used skates and blades are better than purchasing new low-quality skates. However, purchasing used items can be very risky. Here are some of the tips that you can ponder upon before you make the purchase.
What to Consider.
Before buying used or refurbished skates, there are some things that you have to consider. It is important to assess the status of the skate before you make the purchase.
- The Age of the Skate. Finding out how old the skate is very important. Some skates that are too old may not give you the same padding and ankle protection that the newer skates can offer. Remember that through the years, figure skate boots have been developed. Today’s skate boots are lighter, have extra paddings, heat moldable that can fit your foot, and so much more. What you would need is a pair of old skates that weren’t used much.
- How long did the previous owner use the skate? The frequency of use and the length of time that the previous has spent with the old skate should be considered. For adults, the old skates can be used up. But with children, they outgrow their skates in less than a year. Chances are, children’s skates would be still in a good condition.
- Check how the boot leather looks. Check for cracks or crease on the outside of the boot. These are signs of age and wear. Some minor scratch is okay. These are just cosmetic issues. Creases in the ankle area should be assessed for signs of breakdown.
- Check how the Sole looks like. If it’s a PVC hole, check the bottom for extra holes. These holes are usually caused by carelessly replacing the blades. If the sole is leather, check the heels for cracks or splitting. The soles of the brown leather boot should not have black spots. This is the first sign of moisture damage.
- Check the Brand. A good reputable brand is Jackson, Riedell, Risport, Avanta, GAM, and Graf. The model of the brand should be checked to know the skill level of the skate.
When purchasing refurbished or used skates, make sure that you are doing the transaction with a trusted vendor. The products sold here are usually returned and cannot be sold as new, or maybe it has been used for some time and have some minor damage. When you are buying from a reputable seller, you can be safe from scammers of any fraudulent transactions. You are buying used skates to save money, not to give your money to scammers.